Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 11 August 2022

The Mogamma will become the Cairo House Hotel by the end of 2024

The Mogamma’s face-lift could be finished in 2024: The consortium of investors redeveloping the Mogamma into a hotel will finish construction by the end of 2024, Bloomberg Asharq reported Tuesday. This came from Randall Langer, chairman of MENA-focused US investment firm Global Ventures, who together with Oxford Capital and the UAE’s Al Otaiba Investment in December won the EGP 3.5 bn contract to revamp the administrative building in downtown Cairo.

Introducing the Cairo House Hotel: The Mogamma will be transformed into a new 450-room, five-star hotel. It will have more than 85k sqm of meeting and events spaces, several entertainment venues and restaurants, and feature the capital’s largest rooftop venue. The consortium signed the contract to redevelop the Mogamma with the Sovereign Fund of Egypt (SFE) and the Planning Ministry in December. The investors will manage the redevelopment of the complex and operate it once it is complete.

It’s costing more than originally planned: The development is now expected to cost around USD 240 mn, Langer told Asharq. The consortium will directly finance about 35% of the project, while the remaining 65% will be raised from banks, he added. The consortium is currently in talks with several local banks and is planning to announce the results of the negotiations within a month, he said, declining to identify the potential lenders.

Contractors have been hired: The consortium has contracted the Middle East-focused Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) as its general contractor, managing director of CCC’s North Africa division, Mohamed Tarek, told CNBC Arabia (watch, runtime: 2:50). RMC Engineering and project management firm Chrome are also onboard.

We could see more activity from CCC in Egypt: The project comes as part of Lebanon-based CCC’s plans to expand in Egypt, Tarek told CNBC Arabia. The company’s current portfolio in Egypt is valued at USD 2 bn.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.