A rundown of yesterday’s Golden Globe awards + Ben Affleck and George Clooney team up in The Tender Bar
???? ON THE TUBE TONIGHT-
(all times CLT)
A terrific Ben Affleck performance and George Clooney directorial come together in The Tender Bar: The film follows teenager JR after his parents’ divorce, which forces him and his mom to go back to living with his grandfather. The house is full of aunts, uncles, and cousins and JR quickly finds a haven in his uncle’s bar The Dickens which is full of books and puzzles. His uncle, Charlie (played by Ben Affleck), takes JR under his wing and teaches him what he calls "the male sciences" which includes lessons on how to treat women and financial savings. Meanwhile, JR is dead set on attending an Ivy League university and he uses his experiences at the eccentric bar to inspire his writings. The film is based on a 2005 memoir of the same name by JR Moehringer, a Pulitzer Prize-decorated journalist and novelist. You can watch The Tender Bar on Amazon Prime.
The Golden Globes took place yesterday amid controversy about the lack of diversity, voting procedures, and finances after an exposé was published in the Los Angeles Times. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) opted out of livestreaming the event, instead keeping it closed to an exclusive bunch in attendance. Here are some of the most notable awards handed out during the event:
- The Power of the Dog was named best motion picture in the drama category. The film also saw Jane Campion take home the best director title while the title of best supporting actor went to Kodi Smit-McPhee.
- Steven Spielberg's musical West Side Story also gained three awards: Best picture (musical or comedy), best actress in a motion picture (musical or comedy) for Rachel Zegler and best supporting actress in a motion picture for Ariana Debose.
- Will Smith was named best actor in a motion picture (drama) for his role as Richard Williams in the film King Richard.
- Nicole Kidman was given a nod as best actress for her role as Lucille Ball in Being the Ricardos.
- Andrew Garfield scored the best actor in a motion picture (musical or comedy) win for Tick, Tick… Boom.
- Japanese film Drive My Car was awarded as the best motion picture in non-English language.
- A fan favorite here in Egypt, Succession, had a good night yesterday with three awards to its name. The show was named best TV series (drama) and saw acting trophies for Sarah Snook (best supporting actress in a TV role) and Jeremy Strong (best actor in a TV series, drama).
- Hacks was named best TV series (musical or comedy) while Jean Smart was given the award for best actress in a TV series (musical or comedy) for her role on the show.
- Jason Sudeikis was given the award for best actor in a TV series (musical or comedy) for his role as coach in Ted Lasso.
- O Yeong-Su was named best supporting actor in a TV role for his role of Player 001 in Squid Game.
- Han Zimmer’s soundtrack for the film Dune was given a nod for the best original score, (motion picture).
- The song No Time to Die by Billie Eilish for the film No Time to Die was named best original song (motion picture).
⚽ Afcon continues today, with Senegal and Zimbabwe taking the field as we dispatch. Later at 6pm, Guinea will face Malawi and Morocco will face Ghana. The match day will end with Comoros and Gabon, who will play at 9pm.
The Pharaohs’ first match in the championship against Nigeria takes place tomorrow at 6pm.
Man United and Aston Villa will compete today in the FA Cup at 9:55pm.
La Liga: Espanyol will host Elche in a match taking place at 10pm.
Serie A: Torino and Fiorentina will go head-to-head at 6pm today.
???? A victory for anti-vaxxers: An Australian court ruled in favor of tennis world number one champion Novak Djokovic’s appeal against his deportation from Australia, saying the country’s border authorities acted “unreasonably” when canceling his visa, the Financial Times reports. The judge backed Djokovic’s claim that he provided sufficient evidence to justify a medical exemption from getting the covid-19 vaccine, which rested on testing positive for covid-19 a few weeks ago and recovering since then. Australia’s Immigration Minister could still interfere and cancel his visa on new grounds, the FT notes, but the Serbian athlete is now cleared to head to the Australian Open to defend his title and earn his 21st Grand Slam.
???? OUT AND ABOUT-
(all times CLT)
Pareidolia — The Soundtrack of Real Life by artist Marwan Sabra is on at Arcade Gallery, depicting what Sabra calls the “ancient magic,” which is still preserved in the unnoticed details of our world.
Join the Lamba Art Tour on Wednesday and get a glimpse of the best of Garden City’s art scene.
???? UNDER THE LAMPLIGHT-
Influence Is Your Superpower by Zoe Chance aims to strengthen your negotiation skills by getting rid of common misconceptions around getting what you want. The book explains how to cultivate charisma, negotiate comfortably and creatively, and spot manipulators. Chance brings in a multitude of stories from alligators (yes, seriously), skydivers, a mind reader in a gorilla costume, Jennifer Lawrence, and Genghis Khan. The Yale Professor argues that the key is not being afraid of asking for more or refusing what doesn’t suit you — and doing this in a way that is both convincing and charming.