Back to the complete issue
Wednesday, 20 January 2021

Paving the way for the gas hub

We’re on track to receive 7 bcm of natural gas from Israel through new and improved pipelines in the EastMed: Chevron, Delek Drilling and Israel Natural Gas Lines (INGL) will spend USD 235 mn to lay a new subsea pipeline and upgrade existing lines, enabling the companies to ship 7 bcm of natural gas to Egypt each year, Bloomberg reports, citing a Delek statement. The new line will connect the Israeli coastal cities of Ashdod and Ashkelon, the latter of which is linked to Egypt via the EMG pipeline.

In details: The new pipeline is expected to cost USD 228 mn with the remainder being spent on expanding other lines, Delek said, without specifying which pipelines would receive investment. Delek and Chevron will pay for 56% of the new line, and INGL — which will build it — will cover the remaining 44%.

A year of imports: Egypt began importing gas from Israel’s offshore Tamar and Leviathan gas fields under the landmark USD 19.5 bn agreement in January last year. Delek and former operator Noble Energy were reportedly aiming to send 1.5-3 bcm Egypt’s way in 2020 before gradually increasing the supply to 4-5 bcm in 2021 and 7 bcm in 2022. The agreement will see Egypt import 85.3 bcm of gas between 2020 and 2034.

Chevron- The new company on the block: The US energy giant acquired Noble Energy for USD 5 bn last year, giving it a 39.7% stake in Leviathan and 32.5% of Tamar.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.