Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 1 October 2020

Ebtikar receives offers for stakes in e-payments firms Bee, Masary

M&A WATCH- Foreign, local investors eye stakes in fintech players Bee, Masary: Non-banking financial services outfit Ebtikar has received “several” offers from unnamed local and foreign investors for stakes in two of its subsidiaries, Bee smart payment solutions and Masary smart payment services, the local press reported, citing sources with knowledge of the matter. The sources did not provide further information on the offers. Ebtikar is a joint venture between B investments, BPE Partners and MM Group for Industry and International Trade, and is expected to IPO in 1Q2021. The company has tapped EFG Hermes as financial advisor on the transactions.

Background: Earlier this year, MM Group said that Bee and Masary would be merged and brought under the fold of an unnamed e-payments company, though no further details were given. Ebtikar acquired a 33% stake in Masary in 2018 and continued to up its stake through 2019. Ebtikar now holds 72% of the company, with the remainder held by Bahrain’s Sadad. The company also acquired a 60% stake in Bee in October 2017, with the remaining 40% held by two other investors.

In related news: Ebtikar and B Investments-owned financial services provider Tamweel Holding is planning to launch a new securitization arm in 4Q2020, Managing Director Mohamed El Kahki told Al Mal. The company is looking to issue some EGP 500 mn in securitized bonds backed by some of its real estate portfolio and will soon submit its licensing request to the Financial Regulatory Authority, El Kahki added.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.