Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 5 March 2020

Banking Act receives committee-level approval at Egypt’s parliament

Most banks are ready for the Banking Act’s new capital requirements: Around 70% of banks operating in Egypt currently meet the increased capital requirements contained in the draft Banking Act, CBE Deputy Governor Gamal Negm said yesterday. Speaking on the sidelines of the Nile Pioneers Initiative, Negm told reporters that the remaining 30% will have a deadline to raise the extra capital, without providing specifics. This is likely to result in a spate of new mergers and acquisitions for smaller local banks that are unable to raise paid-up capital or boost their earnings. The draft law will raise capital requirements for all banks apart from SME lenders and digital banks. The requirements for local banks will rise tenfold to EGP 5 bn and threefold for foreign banks to USD 150 mn.

The House Economic Committee is almost done reviewing the draft legislation, and will soon hand it over to the general assembly for a vote, Al Shorouk reported Negm as saying. The bill, which has been in the works since 2017, would grant the CBE increased oversight over the banking sector, introduce measures governing e-payment, fintech businesses, and cryptocurrencies, and strengthen data protection and consumer privacy. You can find out more about the details of the legislation here and here.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.