Back to the complete issue
Monday, 9 December 2019

Endeavour’s Centamin merger bid faces new setback as French officials launch corruption investigation into CEO

M&A WATCH- Endeavour’s bid to merge with Centamin faces hurdle as report suggests CEO De Montessus is target of corruption probe: Endeavour Mining’s USD 1.9 bn bid to acquire gold miner Centamin has run headlong into a report that the company has been the target of a corruption probe by French officials since 2018. British newspaper the Mail on Sunday reported yesterday that the French government has been investigating allegations that Sébastien de Montessus allegedly made fraudulent financial declarations while he was deputy CEO of state-owned French nuclear firm Areva and bribed a foreign public official. De Montessus denies all allegations. The story, broken by the Mail’s business section, has since been picked up by the Times of London.

Endeavour has previously disclosed the investigation, writing in its annual report that “De Montessus’s status in the French inquiry changed in March 2018 to ‘mis en examen’ or ‘under judicial inquiry’, adding: ‘This is an investigative stage of the inquiry and does not equate to being “charged” in the UK and North America.”’ Endeavour’s board “did not consider that the ongoing inquiry would impede De Montessus’s ability to carry out his responsibilities and effectively execute his duties as chief executive officer.”

There are also questions over Endeavour’s attempted merger with Centamin: Officials are also investigating why Endeavour denied Centamin access to company information necessary for it to conduct due diligence after the bid was announced. The London-listed operator of Egypt’s Sukari gold mine last week unanimously rejected Endeavour’s all-share merger proposal on the grounds that it would disproportionately benefit the Canadian firm’s shareholders. Under the plans, Endeavour would have acquired a 52.9% stake in the joint company, while Centamin would control the remaining 47.1%. We noted yesterday that Endeavour was “reaching out to Centamin shareholders” in the hope they would reconsider their rejection of the all-share merger proposal. Both companies declined to comment on the investigation.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; and Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt.