Egypt prosecution says poison gas leak not behind death of British couple
Topping coverage of Egypt in the foreign press this morning: The death of two British tourists in Hurghada. Egypt’s top prosecutor dismissed yesterday speculation that a “toxic gas leak” was behind the death on Tuesday of a British couple at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada, according to the Associated Press. “All devices in the room were functioning efficiently without any defects,” Reuters quotes an investigator as saying. While the hotel attributed the deaths to “natural causes,” prosecutors are still waiting on forensics. The deaths prompted tour operator Thomas Cook to evacuate just over 300 customers from the hotel (with many leaving Egypt and others being relocated to other properties on the Red Sea) after allegedly reporting “a raised level of illness among guests.”
Also making headlines this morning are the weekend deaths of four policemen and four terrorists in clashes in Arish, according to unnamed security officials, the Associated Press reports. Last week, one security officer was killed and four other conscripts were injured in a car bomb south of Arish.