Egypt preparing bid for 2036 Olympics
Egypt wants to host the Olympics: Egypt plans to submit an official bid to host the 2036 Summer Olympics, according to Sports Minister Ashraf Sobhi, who told Sky News Arabia the government is working on a “comprehensive file” to submit to the International Olympic Committee.
This time for Africa: Sobhi added that he earlier this week met with and secured the support of the president of the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa for Egypt to make the bid as a representative of the continent.
It’s early days in the bidding process and we don’t yet know which countries will emerge as serious competitors to host the games: India, Russia and the UK are among those to have registered interest in following Brisbane to host the 2036 games, but the host likely won’t be decided until sometime in the middle of the decade. Let’s aim to avoid another FIFA sifr?
Other things we’re keeping an eye on this morning:
- Mountain View will co-develop Heliopolis Housing and Development’s (HHD) Heliopark in New Cairo, after HHD’s board of directors approved Mountain View’s partnership offer, according to a press release (pdf).
- Elsewedy Electric’s Egytech Cables signed an EGP 440 mn contract for the supply, installation and maintenance of 132 kV ground cables for the Kuwaiti El Mutlaa Residential city, according to a company release (pdf).
- Some 27k Egyptian importers and 68k foreign companies have registered with Nafeza in the three months since its launch, according to Finance Minister Mohamed Maait.
- Egypt Post has launched a digital AI-driven shipping service, Wassalha.
- MPs are appealing the government’s decision to liquidate state-owned El Nasr for Coke and Chemicals: The House Industry Committee has asked the cabinet to rethink plans to liquidate the financially-stricken company, and will meet with Public Enterprises Minister Hisham Tawfik later this month to discuss alternatives.