Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 11 November 2021

Give me the green light

Vodafone Group has agreed to transfer its 55% stake in Vodafone Egypt to Vodacom, its sub-Saharan African subsidiary, in a EUR 2.72 bn transaction, according to a company statement. The move will “simplify” the management of its African holdings, according to the UK-based parent company. The South Africa-based telecommunications company said it intends to settle 80% of the transaction by issuing new shares, with the remaining 20% settled in cash. Enterprise reached out to Vodafone Egypt yesterday, but was unable to reach a representative for comment before dispatch time. The transaction is expected to conclude before 31 March 2022, Vodafone Group said in its statement.

What are the next steps? A committee of Vodacom's independent non-executive directors has unanimously approved the transaction and the matter will now require approval from minority shareholders representing 39.5% of the Vodacom shares. Beyond the usual waffle words on conditions precedent, the transactions till needs regulatory approval from Egypt’s National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (NTRA) as well as the Financial Surveillance Department of the South African Reserve Bank.

Things are already in motion here: Vodafone Egypt expects to submit a formal request to the NTRA to change the company's ownership structure by Sunday, head of the telecom company’s legal affairs, Ayman Essam, told Hapi Journal. The transaction would not entail making any changes to the Vodafone Egypt brand, Essam separately told Al Mal.

Don’t expect Telecom Egypt to get in the way: The EGX-listed telecoms giant still holds a 45% stake in Vodafone Egypt and contractually has a right of first refusal, which would allow it to make a counter-offer. However, the company doesn’t plan to invoke this right, Investor Relations head Sarah Shabayek told Enterprise. TE already signed off on the restructuring after being notified of the agreement back in June. “We sealed several rights and benefits in advance of the agreement,” Shabayek told us. Vodacom has committed to Vodafone that they will sign a deed of adherence to the shareholders' agreement with Telecom Egypt, according to a statement.


Telecom Egypt generated EGP 2.2 bn in net income during 3Q2021, up 51% from the same period a year earlier, according to the company’s earnings release (pdf). Revenues at the state-owned company rose 22% y-o-y to EGP 9.0 bn during the three-month period.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.