Back to the complete issue
Wednesday, 16 June 2021

A merger in the Western Desert

Eni to merge two concessions in Western Desert: Eni has signed an agreement with the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) and Russian multinational energy corporation Lukoil to merge its Meleiha and Meleiha Deep concessions in the Western Desert, the Italian oil and gas operator said in a statement yesterday. The new concession, dubbed Merged Meleiha, will be extended to 2036, with a possibile stretch to 2041. Eni operates some of Egypt’s most important oil and gas resources including the giant Zohr natural gas field, the Noor concession, and the Damietta LNG plant.

Who will own what? Eni subsidiary IEOC will own 76% of Merged Meleiha while Lukoil will hold the remaining 24%. The new concession will be operated by Agiba — a joint venture between IEOC and the EGPC.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Etisalat Misr (tax ID: 235-071-579), the leading telecoms provider in Egypt; and Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt.