Back to the complete issue
Sunday, 30 August 2020

Commodity exchange structure is still debatable – sources

The private sector will get a piece of the new futures exchange even as gov’t agencies scramble for their share: Last Tuesday’s meeting called by the Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) saw the EGX, CBE, and Misr for Clearing, Depository and Registry (MCDR) vie for ownership of the futures exchange, sources told Hapi Journal. But amid the haggling, one thing remained constant: no matter which way you cut it, partial private sector ownership of the exchange will be a reality. Three main ownership plans have been put on the table:

Scenario #1: The CBE, MCDR, and the EGX may hold a majority stake of 51% and they would discuss amongst themselves who takes what. The remaining 49% would be distributed among private banks, insurance companies, and funds who would each seek their own share in a private placement. A cap on private ownership of individual entities may be introduced in this scenario.

Scenario #2: 70-80% of the exchange could be owned by the private sector, while the CBE and EGX could own 20-30% minority stake.

Scenario #3: Expand the ownership structure significantly to distribute the stakes in equal parts of 2-3% to each of the public and private sector parties involved.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.