Back to the complete issue
Sunday, 13 January 2019

Egypt in talks with UGS to drop USD 2 bn arbitration claim over Damietta liquefaction plant

Egypt is in talks with Spanish-Italian JV Union Fenosa Gas (UGS) in a bid to have the European outfit drop its arbitration claim over gas supply interruptions at the Damietta liquefaction plant, an industry source tells the domestic press. The World Bank’s International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes ordered in September that Egypt pay USD 2 bn to UGS in the case, which UGS filed after the state cut off flows to its Damietta liquefaction plant. UGS owns 80% of the facility, while state-owned EGPC and EGAS together own the remaining 20%. According to the sources, the Oil Ministry is looking to hammer out an agreement that would see Egypt gradually relaunch operations at the Damietta facility and compensate UGS for its losses through EGAS’ profits from the facility’s operations. Naturgy and Eni are in “advanced talks” over the relaunch of operations, Eni CFO Massimo Mondazzi said back in October.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Etisalat Misr (tax ID: 235-071-579), the leading telecoms provider in Egypt; and Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt.