High level of e-coli contamination found in Steigenberger Aqua Magic
High level of e-coli contamination found in Steigenberger Aqua Magic: Holiday-gate took another turn for the worse yesterday after Thomas Cook said it had found a high level of e-coli and staphylococcus bacteria at Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada, where UK couple John and Susan Cooper died last month, according to Reuters. The company said the poor hygiene standards it had discovered in independent tests were the likely cause of a rise in illness amongst its guests at the hotel. The tour operator did not explicitly say that this was cause of the couple’s death. “We continue to await the results of the investigation being conducted by the Egyptian authorities and are working closely with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to ensure we prioritise the very best interests of the Cooper family,” Thomas Cook chief executive Peter Fankhauser said.
The story topped coverage of Egypt in the foreign press this morning, with the coverage being led by the UK tabloids. Bloomberg and the AP also have the story, giving it legs well beyond Blighty.