Egypt retrieves three mummy parts smuggled to US 91 years ago

Antiquities Ministry channels Indiana Jones and is on the trail of stolen artifacts: Egypt has retrieved three mummy parts that had been smuggled to the US in 1927, the Antiquities Ministry said in a statement yesterday. The mummy head and two hands, which had been stolen from the Valley of the Kings over 90 years ago, had recently been displayed for sale at an auction in Manhattan, according to the statement. The ministry also said it was investigating the origins of the 27 Ancient Egyptian artefacts set to go on auction at Christie’s New York this Friday, ministry official Shaaban Abdel Gawad tells Al Shorouk.
Meanwhile, Scientists in Australia could help reveal more secrets about ancient Egypt after discovering the remains of a mummy in a 2,500-year-old coffin that was previously thought to be empty, Reuters reports. The presumably empty sarcophagus had been sitting at a university museum in Sydney for over 150 years, until academics removed the lid last year and found the remains of human feet and bones that could have belonged to someone important.