Back to the complete issue
Monday, 17 October 2022

The state-owned electricity company will pay in EGP for imported components in future tenders

The Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company wants to pay in EGP for imported components in its future tenders in a bid to save valuable FX, Bloomberg Asharq reports citing an unnamed company source. Payments for foreign components, which usually make up 30 to 46% of any given tender, will reportedly be paid in EGP pegged at the exchange

State-owned consumer finance player One Finance has launched its services in the local market, according to a press release (pdf). The state’s Ayady Investments owns a 40% stake in One Finance, while the remaining 60% is split equally between microfinance player Tamweely and Post for Investment, Egypt Post’s investment arm. The company aims to open eight branches nationwide before the end of the year, after obtaining its consumer finance license from the Financial Regulatory Authority in April.

Other things we’re keeping an eye on this morning:

  • Edtech platform iSchool is reportedly looking to raise a USD 4.5 mn round by the end of year to enter Saudi Arabia and the UAE. (Al Mal)
  • Huawei is reportedly among bidders to become the private-sector partner in the state’s new EV charging company (Al Mal)
  • Everest Business School has closed an undisclosed funding round led by a strategic Kuwaiti investor and with the participation of angel investors. The fund will help the company expand across the MENA region. (Statement, pdf)
  • Raya Holding subsidiary Raya Foods is considering building an EGP 500 mn industrial complex. (Al Mal)
  • Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank is lending HoldiPharma EGP 3.4 bn to bring its meds production up to international standards in a bid to boost exports. (Statement)
  • The Egyptian Navy has received the first of four MEKO A200-class frigates from Germany’s Thyssenkrupp. (Statement)

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.