Last Night’s Talk Shows: The Nasser Medical Institute is getting a face lift
Leading the conversation on the airwaves last night: President Abdel Fattah El Sisi directed the Armed Forces Engineering Authority to renovate the Nasser Medical Institute in Cairo, according to a cabinet statement. The revamp, which will expand the institute’s capacity and develop its infrastructure, got coverage from Al Hayah Al Youm (watch, runtime: 2:24), Masaa DMC (watch, runtime: 1:04), and Sada El Balad (watch, runtime: 3:08).
Also on the airwaves last night:
- ECA cracks down on egg cartel over alleged price-fixing: The Egyptian Competition Authority (ECA) has referred four egg distributors to prosecution over allegedly monopolistic practices that led to an “unprecedented” surge in prices, ECA head Mahmoud Momtaz said on Saturday. The traders are accused by the regulator of forming a cartel to fix egg prices and could be fined EGP 500 mn each. The ECA has not publicly named the four companies. (Ala Mas’ouleety | watch, runtime: 9:34)
- The IMF’s updated World Economic Outlook continued to get attention in the wake of its release last Wednesday. Al Hayah Al Youm picked up a cabinet statement emphasizing that Egypt will be the fourth-fastest-growing economy next year in a basket of 30 countries assessed by the Fund. (Al Hayah Al Youm | watch, runtime: 16:08).
- A new antiviral covid med is on the market: Masaa DMC gave an inside look into the local factories manufacturing the antiviral covid-19 drug Molnupiravir, which became available in pharmacies last week. (Masaa DMC | watch, runtime: 22:15).
- Egypt will add 1 mn feddans of cultivated area for wheat during the next season, saving us about USD 1 bn from the wheat import budget. (Ala Mas’ouleety | watch, runtime: 6:40)
- More on the National Dialogue: Al Hayah Al Youm continued to cover the weekend’s meetings by the board of trustees preparing for the forthcoming National Dialogue, during which they highlighted the issues of housing and overpopulation as two crucial topics of discussion for the social agenda. (Al Hayah Al Youm | watch, runtime: 4:14)