Back to the complete issue
Wednesday, 19 January 2022

Vodacom shareholders approve Vodafone Egypt acquisition

Vodafone Plc took a step closer to offloading its majority stake in Vodafone Egypt to its South African subsidiary yesterday after receiving shareholder backing. A majority of shareholders in Vodacom approved the acquisition of the 55% stake in Vodafone Egypt during a general meeting, the Johannesburg-listed company announced in a disclosure (pdf).

The transaction: Vodafone Plc — which currently owns a 60.5% stake in Vodacom — last year agreed to sell its holdings in its Egypt unit for EUR 2.34 bn in a stock and cash transaction. The South African company will pay 20% in cash and the other 80% by issuing new shares, which will increase Vodafone’s stake in Vodacom to 65.1%.

There are still some boxes to tick: Vodacom still needs the blessing of the Egypt’s National Telecom Regulatory Authority before the shares can be transferred — and the Financial Regulatory Authority here will need to give it an exemption from the legal requirement to make a mandatory tender offer for the Vodafone Egypt shares it is not buying, it said in the disclosure. The company also needs to jump through regulatory hoops in South Africa, including approval from the Financial Surveillance Department of the South African Reserve Bank and listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange of the new shares it is issuing Vodafone Plc

Don’t expect Telecom Egypt to get in the way: The EGX-listed telecoms giant still holds a 45% stake in Vodafone Egypt and contractually has a right of first refusal, which would allow it to make a counter-offer. However, the company doesn’t plan to invoke this right, Investor Relations head Sarah Shabayek told Enterprise in November.

Expect movement this quarter: Vodafone Group expects the transaction to close before 31 March.


Reliance Logistics has acquired an undisclosed stake in investment firm Catalyst Partners, as the logistics firm eyes expansion into financing, digital transformation and entrepreneurship, according to a statement (pdf). No details were provided on the value or mechanism of the transaction. Catalyst Partners’ board will undergo changes to reflect the new ownership structure, according to Chairman Maged Shawky.

ADIB to offload National Co. for Glass and Crystal: Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank and its subsidiaries will sell their entire combined 88.3% stake in the National Company for Glass and Crystal, according to an EGX disclosure (pdf). The bank is currently in the process of wrapping up regulatory procedures.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.