Back to the complete issue
Sunday, 10 January 2021

The Arab Investment Bank sale update + Hindawi sells for USD 298 mn

EFG Hermes and the Sovereign Fund of Egypt (SFE) will wrap up their acquisition of the Arab Investment Bank (AIB) a month later than planned. Masrawy reports that their acquisition of a 76% stake in the state-owned bank will likely be finalized by the end of March, rather than in February as previously thought.

What’s with the delay? The lawyers are taking longer than expected, sources say.

Background: EFG Hermes and the SFE announced in June that they had been given the green light by the central bank to start due diligence on the AIB, and that they planned to purchase the stake through a capital increase to EGP 5 bn, which they were hoping to complete before the end of 2020. EFG would become the controlling shareholder with at least 51%, while the SFE would take no more than 25%. The state-owned National Investment Bank currently holds 91.4% of AIB, while the Federation of Arab Republics owns the remaining 8.6%.


Egyptian-founded research publisher Hindawi was acquired by publisher Wiley for USD 298 mn, Wiley and Hindawi announced on Tuesday. UK-based Hindawi — founded in Egypt back in 1997 by Ahmed Hindawi and his wife Nagwa Abdel Mottaleb — is one of the world's largest fully open access journal publishers and publishes more than 200 peer-reviewed scientific journals via its in-house Phenom platform. The company is projected to see 50% y-o-y topline growth in its FY ending 31 December 2020, generating some USD 40 mn turnover. “The acquisition of Hindawi enables Wiley to move farther and faster toward our goal of meeting the world’s … need for new knowledge,” said Wiley president and CEO Brian Napack. Hindawi has an office in London as well as one in Cairo’s Nasr City. You can read more about the founders here.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.