Back to the complete issue
Tuesday, 10 November 2020

Ibnsina Pharma acquires 75% stake in Egyptian digital pharmacy app 3elagi

M&A WATCH- Ibnsina Pharma has acquired a 75% stake in digital pharmacy platform and app 3elagi, according to an EGX disclosure (pdf). The remaining 25% of the business continues to be held by the founders, who will remain onboard. The company has been working since the outbreak of the pandemic to “give patients access to their medications without having to leave their homes,” said Ibnsina Chairman Mohsen Mahgoub. 3elagi currently has 600k users, and plans to use the capital increase to expand its user base, as well as the number of registered pharmacies in its network.

Background: Ibnsina invested EGP 22 mn in 2020 in internal digital projects, including launching its own app last July. The app serves 4k pharmacies monthly, allowing them to digitally replenish their stock. The company announced last July it had set up an SPV to invest in pharma companies, and said it plans to invest EGP 16 mn in 2021.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.