Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 10 September 2020

IMEX to submit offer to acquire 100% of Nile Cotton Ginning

M&A WATCH- IMEX to submit offer to acquire 100% of Nile Cotton Ginning: IMEX International has submitted an offer to purchase 100% of Nile Cotton Ginning, the Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) said in a statement (pdf) on Wednesday. The energy trading company has originally planned to acquire a 50% stake in the Nile Cotton, but after the regulator ordered them to purchase a minimum 51% stake it will now look to buy all 53 mn shares in the firm for EGP 50 apiece. IMEX plans to finance 75% of the purchase through a loan from the National Bank of Egypt, and the remaining 25% from its own capital, the FRA said.

Advisors: The company has appointed EgyTrend as its financial advisor on the transaction.

Background: IMEX’s original offer to acquire 50% of Nile Cotton Ginning was plunged into uncertainty after majority shareholder Samir Afifiy and associates, who collectively own 13% of the company, refused IMEX’s offer price last month, said they would not accept any offer below EGP 70 per share. Nile Cotton Ginning has been mired in a decade-long dispute that arose after a court ruling in 2011 to reverse the company’s Mubarak-era sale to private investors. The ruling nullified the privatization claiming that the company had been undervalued. An appeal was turned down in 2013 by the Administrative Court. The government’s investment dispute resolution committee reached a settlement agreement with the company that will see Nile Cotton pay EGP 231.1 mn to the Holding Company for Construction and Development, as it looks to resume trading on the EGX after an eight-year hiatus.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.