Cabinet approves EBRD, IBRD facilities, amendments to harassment law
CABINET WATCH- Cabinet approves EBRD, IBRD facilities, amendments to harassment law, others: The cabinet approved amendments to a draft law governing harassment, to further clarify the term as an abuse of power, intimidation and/or ridicule over gender, race, religion, physical conditions, mental health, or social status, a statement said on Tuesday. Offenders will face six months in jail and a fine of EGP 10-30k, or EGP 20-100k if the perpetrator abuses a dependent.
Other bills and measures approved by the Cabinet on Tuesday:
- A USD 95 mn facility from the Opec Fund for International Development to support SMEs.
- A EUR 150k grant from Spain to finance creating job opportunities for young people.
- A USD 50 mn facility from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development to support the state’s efforts to combat the covid-19 pandemic.
- Amendments to taxation policy, regarding transferring revenue and preventing the erosion of the tax base, based on the 2016 Paris Agreement, which Egypt acceded to the following year.
- Amendments to a draft law governing higher learning institutions allowing the Education Ministry to modify teaching systems in exceptional circumstances such as the covid-19 pandemic.