Back to the complete issue
Tuesday, 21 April 2020

Egypt lists sectors eligible for covid-19 corporate income tax relief

Gov’t lists sectors eligible for covid-19 corporate income tax relief: The Madbouly Cabinet specified on Thursday industries eligible for the income tax relief program ordered by President Abdel Fattah El Sisi earlier this month, confirming what a senior government official told us last week, according to a statement. Under the package, companies in sectors including aviation and tourism (including hotels, restaurants, and cafes) will be able to pay income tax in three installments ending 30 June.

Other eligible companies include those operating in:

  • Journalism and media;
  • Telecommunications and and IT (except landline and mobile network operators);
  • Sports;
  • Public transport providers;
  • Car retailers;
  • Healthcare providers;
  • Contractors; and
  • Manufacturers (excluding those who make food, medical products, and cleaning supplies).

How the instalment program will work: The first of the three installments — which is due before the end of this month — should cover 20% of the total amount of taxes owed. The remaining two installments will cover the remaining 80%, with 30% due in May and 50% on or before 30 June.

The House Planning and Budgeting Committee approved the relief program, as well as a three-month real estate tax holiday for companies operating in the industrial and tourism sectors on Saturday, according to Mubasher.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.