Back to the complete issue
Thursday, 13 December 2018

UAE’s Al Ghurair and Murban sign shareholder agreement with Al Ahly Capital for USD 1 bn sugar factory in Egypt’s Minya

INVESTMENT WATCH- UAE’s Al Ghurair and Murban sign shareholder agreement with Al Ahly Capital for USD 1 bn Minya sugar factory: UAE’s Al Ghurair and Murban have signed a shareholder agreement with Al Ahly Capital Holding for the USD 1 bn Al Canal sugar beet processing factory in Minya, according to a statement (pdf). Under the agreement, Al Ahly Capital will hold a 30% stake in the project, while Al Ghurair and Murban will hold the remaining 70%. The statement does not break down the individual Emirati companies’ stakes. The project will see the company develop 181k feddans of reclaimed desert land west of Minya to grow 1 mn tonnes of beets per year, as well as develop a USD 400 mn sugar production facility. The project will be complete in 2020. Al Ahly Capital, which is also acting as the financial advisor for the project, is arranging a USD 700 mn loan from international lenders.

Zaki Hashem & Partners acted as legal advisor to Al Canal Sugar and its shareholders on the transaction.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2020 Enterprise Ventures LLC.