What we’re tracking this week and beyond
Egypt, Greece, Cyprus summit will be at head-of-state level: It appears that the tripartite summit this week between Egypt, Greece and Cyprus will be attended by the presidents of the three countries, according to Ahram Online. Expect gas in the East Mediterranean to top the agenda. Talks between President Abdel Fattah El Sisi and his Greek and Cypriot counterparts will also encompass security cooperation and migration, in addition to some of the region’s hotspots like Syria, according to the newspaper. The summit, which is set to take place on Wednesday, 10 October, was initially to be led by the foreign ministers.
Also on the horizon:
- An IMF delegation is due in town mid-October for a review of Egypt’s progress on its reform program ahead of the disbursal of the fifth USD 2 bn tranche of the country’s extended fund facility.
- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi is in Moscow next Wednesday, 17 October. Military cooperation is high on the agenda, Russia’s deputy foreign minister told TASS on Friday.
- The House will convene for its first general assembly of the new session on 21 October.
- The 2018 Narrative PR Summit will take place at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza on Sunday, 28 October.
- An Egyptian-Sudanese presidential summit is set to take place in Khartoum. The gathering has yet to be officially confirmed.