Couple who died in Hurghada hotel “killed by something in their room,” says daughter
The death of two Brit tourists at a Hurghada hotel is still topping coverage of Egypt in the foreign press this morning. The daughter of John and Susan Cooper, the couple who died last week while on holiday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel, spoke to the BBC about the ordeal explaining that there was “a funny smell” in her parent’s hotel room which she claims is the cause of their death, suggesting that a gas leak might have been responsible. Egyptian investigators had ruled that out, however, and are currently testing food, water, and air conditioning systems at the hotel. The results should be released in 10 days’ time, Thomas Cook Group CEO Peter Fankhauser said, according to the Associated Press.
Around 13 holidaymakers had complained to Thomas Cook “about being served raw meat and drinks from unwashed glasses” at the same hotel, prior to the couple’s death, according to the Guardian. The incident had prompted Thomas Cook to evacuate just over 300 customers from the hotel.
Other headlines worth noting in brief:
- Sugar crush: Egyptians consume more sugar than the country will be able to produce once the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam begins operating, limiting the country’s Nile water supply, according to the National.
- Don’t worry, the Socialists will save our sugar habit: Overthrowing capitalism and turning to socialism could be a solution Ethiopia’s Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam dispute with Egypt, according to In Defense of Marxism.
- Truce in jeopardy? The United State’s decision to suspend economic aid to Palestinians risks upsetting Egypt-brokered truce, reigniting Gaza violence, Amos Harel writes for Haaretz.
- Anti-business mumbo-jumbo: Egypt is legalizing land ownership for Sinai residents and Al Monitor warns that some will be denied the stamp of approval “to enable the state to put its hands on those lands, as a prelude to allotting them to large-business owners.”