Back to the complete issue
Tuesday, 17 April 2018

Gov’t targets shifting subsidy beneficiaries from commodities to bread

Gov’t targets shifting subsidy beneficiaries from commodities to bread: The government is targeting reducing the number of subsidized commodities beneficiaries and raising the number of those eligible for bread subsidies during FY2018-19. According to reports on the government’s preliminary budget for the upcoming fiscal year, subsidized bread recipients are expected to rise to 78.6 mn citizens, up from 76.8 mn this year, while the number of benefactors for subsidized commodities will drop to 69 mn individuals from 71 mn currently. Overall spending on commodity subsidies is expected to rise 36.6% next year to EGP 86.18 bn. Subsidy card holders are currently allotted five loaves of subsidized bread per day, and are currently able to use their surplus bread points to buy other commodities through subsidy vendors.

Meanwhile, the Supply Ministry is reportedly looking to increasingly rely on imported, rather than locally produced, wheat for subsidized bread production, an unnamed ministry source said, according to Al Mal. The new system would source 75% of the wheat needed from imports and the remaining 25% from local farmers, whereas the current split sees 60% coming from imports and 40% from local production. Farmers’ Syndicate head Hussein Abdel Rahman tells the newspaper that the move is likely a result of the government’s decision to set the wheat purchasing price below farmers’ expectations, which is expected to drive down the amount of wheat farmers will sell to the government. The ministry is expected to announce the decision after the end of the current harvest season, which kicked off on Sunday, but it remains unclear when the changes will come into effect.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.