Back to the complete issue
Monday, 19 March 2018

PM lays foundation of new capital’s Central Business District

USD 2.55 bn in financing from China for new capital’s skyscraper district as PM breaks ground yesterday: Prime Minister Sherif Ismail broke ground yesterday on the new capital’s 1.71 mn sqm central business district, according to a Cabinet statement. The district will be developed by the China State Construction Engineering Company (CSEC), which will spend some USD 3 bn building a “skyscraper-studded portion of Egypt’s new capital.” CSEC had signed the contracts for the area’s development last October after a troubled and prolonged negotiation period.

Chinese banks are expected to finance 85% of CSEC’s work, while Egypt’s Housing Ministry will provide the remaining 15%, CSEC Egypt’s deputy general manager Zhao Qiang tells Bloomberg. Egypt will have “a grace period of 36 months to 42 months — until construction is completed — before repayment begins on the 10-year loan,” according to Assistant Housing Minister Khaled Abbas.

Enterprise is a daily publication of Enterprise Ventures LLC, an Egyptian limited liability company (commercial register 83594), and a subsidiary of Inktank Communications. Summaries are intended for guidance only and are provided on an as-is basis; kindly refer to the source article in its original language prior to undertaking any action. Neither Enterprise Ventures nor its staff assume any responsibility or liability for the accuracy of the information contained in this publication, whether in the form of summaries or analysis. © 2022 Enterprise Ventures LLC.

Enterprise is available without charge thanks to the generous support of HSBC Egypt (tax ID: 204-901-715), the leading corporate and retail lender in Egypt; EFG Hermes (tax ID: 200-178-385), the leading financial services corporation in frontier emerging markets; SODIC (tax ID: 212-168-002), a leading Egyptian real estate developer; SomaBay (tax ID: 204-903-300), our Red Sea holiday partner; Infinity (tax ID: 474-939-359), the ultimate way to power cities, industries, and homes directly from nature right here in Egypt; CIRA (tax ID: 200-069-608), the leading providers of K-12 and higher level education in Egypt; Orascom Construction (tax ID: 229-988-806), the leading construction and engineering company building infrastructure in Egypt and abroad; Moharram & Partners (tax ID: 616-112-459), the leading public policy and government affairs partner; Palm Hills Developments (tax ID: 432-737-014), a leading developer of commercial and residential properties; Mashreq (tax ID: 204-898-862), the MENA region’s leading homegrown personal and digital bank; Industrial Development Group (IDG) (tax ID:266-965-253), the leading builder of industrial parks in Egypt; Hassan Allam Properties (tax ID:  553-096-567), one of Egypt’s most prominent and leading builders; and Saleh, Barsoum & Abdel Aziz (tax ID: 220-002-827), the leading audit, tax and accounting firm in Egypt.