Saudi- led Arab coalition spokesman alleges Egypt offered to send 40,000 troops into Yemen
Egypt is not sending 40k troops to Yemen, an unnamed government official said after a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen alleged that Egypt had volunteered to send as many as 40k troops as well as naval forces and warplanes. Coalition spokesman Ahmed Al Asiri had told Al Arabiya in an interview on Sunday that President Abdel Fattah El Sisi had offered to send the troops in addition to naval and air forces on the condition that the coalition’s strategy relies on only using Yemeni troops on the ground (watch, runtime 0:45). The unnamed Egyptian official said Egypt has not agreed to intervene on the ground in Yemen, adding that any decision to send Egyptian troops into another country would require approvals from the National Defense Council, cabinet, and the House of Representatives, the source said.
Meanwhile, the rift between Cairo and Riyadh continues to heal, with the Saudi cabinet approving an MoU with Egypt signed in April last year to jointly clamp down on corruption, according to a statement from the Saudi cabinet.