Other coverage of Egypt in the international press
Other international coverage of Egypt worth noting in brief:
- Travel industry mainstay Skift has picked up on Reuters’ coverage of Egypt’s frustration at the UK for not restoring flights.
- Stat News (paywall) is running a story on the Tour N’ Cure hepatitis C medical tourism program.
- Former footballer Abutrika has elected not to come back to Egypt for his father’s funeral, saying he fears arrest, according to Al Arabiya.
- ANSAmed reviewed the Egyptian film Akhdar Yabes (Withered Green), shown at the first-ever Aswan International Women’s Film Festival, which ended on Sunday. The film will be screened in Italy as part of the Middle East Now film festival in Florence in April.
- Pakistan Tribe took note of the opening of a “five star dog hotel” near Cairo that aims to “take care of dogs, examining their psychological and physical conditions.”
- Waste not, want not: Apparently, India wastes food at volumes sufficient to meet Egyptians’ total yearly intake.
- Unintended consequences: A former senior minister in Israel tells the Jerusalem Post that President El Sisi’s rise to power in 2013, and his clampdown of Hamas, drove the group to help instigate the 2014 Gaza war with Israel.
- We still kick [redacted] at squash: This time it’s coverage of the Windy City PSA Open in Chicago, where women’s world number one Nour El Sherbini will face off against Nicol David and world number four Nouran Gohar made it to the final eight.